Serves 6 happy people or 4 gluttons
– 175 gm or 6 oz pitted chopped dates
– 2 ripe, peeled, mashed bananas
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 cup boiling water
– 60gm or 2 oz of butter
– 150gm or 5 oz rapadura (dehydrated cane juice)
– 2 med eggs
– 175gm or 6 oz self raising wholemeal flour (for North America use plain flour plus 1 tsp of baking powder mixed through)
– 150gm 5 oz rapadura (dehydrated cane juice)
– 1 cup of organic thick cream
– 1 tsp pure vanilla
– 1 Tbsp butter
– Seeds of a vanilla bean for absolute lucious decadence
Oven 170C or 350 F
Place dates in a bowl with bicarb/baking soda and cover with boiling water. Add mashed bananas.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs one at a time.
Fold flour through flour.
Fold date mixture through.
Pour into a lined cake tin about 20cm or 8 inches and bake for about 35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
While cake is baking make the sauce by boiling all ingredients for 3 minutes and pour over cake when it is removed from the oven.
Serve with organic vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.