Serves 6 as a starter
– 1 large firm, fresh, blemish free, shiny eggplant
– 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
– 3 Tbsp. First cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 200gms lentils, green
– 2 stalks rosemary or 4 stalks of thyme
– 1.5 litre vegetable stock
– Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
Smoke eggplant over an open flame or on the barbque.
Once eggplant is fully charred and the inside of the flesh is soft and tender, carefully peel charred skinned, removing every trace of skin. Allow flesh to drain in a colander. Set aside.
Saute onion in olive oil until tender and slightly caramelised.
Add garlic and sauté a further two minutes.
Add lentils, herbs and stock and simmer until lentils are tender.
Remove thyme or rosemary stalks.
Season to taste and add smoked eggplant that has been roughly chopped.